This privacy statement was last updated on 18 September 2021 and applies to citizens and legal permanent residents of South Africa.
Welcome to WP-Awesomeness.
We believe you deserve a safe and secure environment and peace of mind in knowing how we process and store your personal information. In this privacy statement, we explain what we do with the data we obtain about you via https://wp-awesomeness.co.za. We recommend you carefully read this statement.
What is personal information?
Personal information is defined in the Protection of Personal Information Act of 2013 (“POPIA”) as information relating to your race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, national, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental health, well-being, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth; information relating to your education or your medical, financial, criminal or employment history; any identifying number, symbol, e-mail address, physical address, telephone number, location information, online identifier or other particular assignment allocated to you; your biometric information; your personal opinions, views or preferences; correspondence sent by you that is implicitly or explicitly of a private or confidential nature or further correspondence that would reveal the contents of the original correspondence; the views or opinions of another individual about you; and your name if it appears with other personal information relating to you or if the disclosure of the name itself would reveal information about you.
How we collect your personal information
When you purchase products from us or utilise our services either via our website you may be requested to provide certain personal information. This is information that we process and store for the reasons set out herein.
Why we process and store your personal information
The following are the reasons why we collect, process and store your personal information:
- to identify you;
- in order for us to process your instructions or requests;
- to process your order/s and keep you informed of its progress;
- to give effect to your payment instructions;
- to deliver your purchase to you;
- in order for us to ensure that you can comply with obligations;
- statistical, research or historical analysis;
- to develop and improve our products and services;
- to update your and our records;
- to identify which of our products and services might interest you;
- to identify and prevent fraud, money laundering and other criminal activities;
for market research.
We may disclose your personal information:
- in the event we sell or buy any business or assets (in which case we may disclose your personal information to the prospective seller or buyer of such a business or assets);
- if our business or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party (in which case personal information held about customers will be one of the transferred assets);
- if we have a duty to disclose your personal information in order to comply with a legal request, or in order to enforce any of our terms and conditions;
where we are in law allowed to do so;
- in relation to the implementation, administration and/or enforcement of any agreement entered into with us.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. The file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular website. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us. When you log into our website, you can choose to accept or decline cookies. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of our website.
Disclosure of your personal information
We do not share your personal information with any unaffiliated third parties except as necessary to comply with the reasons for which we use your personal information (see Why we process and store your personal information above), and/or as required or permitted by law or professional standards.
We may share your personal information with any of our affiliated companies or divisions to which we belong to comply with the reasons for which we use your personal information (see Why we process and store your personal information above), to provide joint content and services, to help detect and prevent potentially illegal acts and violations of our policies and to guide decisions about our products, services and communications.
Right to request access to your personal information
If you have any questions or want to know which personal data we have about you, please contact us. You can contact us by using the information below. You have the
- You have the right to know why your personal data is needed, what will happen to it, and how long it will be retained for.
- Right of access: You have the right to access your personal data that is known to us.
- Right to rectification: you have the right to supplement, correct, have deleted or blocked your personal data whenever you wish.
- If you give us your consent to process your data, you have the right to revoke that consent and to have your personal data deleted.
- Right to object: you may object to the processing of your data. We comply with this, unless there are justified grounds for processing.
- Please make sure to always clearly state who you are, so that we can be certain that we do not modify or delete any data of the wrong person.
You have the option at any time to opt out of any mailing list maintained by WP-Awesomeness, by clicking on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of our emails, alternatively you may make direct contact with us to remove you from our mailing list.
Disclosure of your personal information without your consent
Notwithstanding the above, we will disclose your personal information without your consent:
- if we are required to do so by law or a court order;
- to enforce legislation concerning the collection of revenue as defined in section 1 of the South African Revenue Service Act, 1997;
- to avoid prejudice to the maintenance of the law by any public body, including the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution and punishment of offences;
- for the conduct of proceedings in any court or tribunal;
- in the interests of national security;
- if disclosure would not prejudice your legitimate interest or lawful purpose;
- if it would not be reasonably practicable to obtain your consent;.
- the information will not be used in a form in which you would be identified;
- the information will be used for historical, statistical or research purposes.
We understand the value of your personal information and therefore will take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information from loss, misuse or unauthorised alteration. Your personal information is stored in databases that have built-in safeguards and firewalls to ensure the privacy and confidentiality of that information. Information that is stored manually is done so using secure locations.
We recognise the need for appropriate protection and management of the personal information you share with us. We protect that information using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption technology and by limiting employee access on a need-to-know basis. We store data in encrypted form on computers and control access via secure web pages. We employ firewalls and other security technologies to protect our servers from external attack.
Our security systems meet or exceed industry standards and we are constantly monitoring internet developments to ensure our systems evolve as required. We also test our systems regularly to make sure our security mechanisms are up to date.
We are subject to South African data protection laws including, but not limited to, those contained in POPIA, the Consumer Protection Act 2008, the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act of 2002, and the Promotion of Access to Information Act of 2000, which we fully comply with.
Third party links
Our site may contain links to third party websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own terms and privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for them. While we only work with selected partners, we are not responsible for the services or representations of third parties.
If you have provided a third party with your consent to receive direct marketing from them and would like to opt-out of such marketing, you will need to follow the instructions about unsubscribing provided at that time by the third party. Please note that we only partner with trusted companies who will respect your right to unsubscribe from any such marketing communications, but we will not be responsible for managing that process or any disputes.
This privacy statement does not apply to third-party websites connected by links on our website. We cannot guarantee that these third parties handle your personal data in a reliable or secure manner. We recommend you read the privacy statements of these websites prior to making use of these websites.
We collect information about you during the checkout process on our store.
What we collect and store
While you visit our site, we’ll track:
- Products you’ve viewed: we’ll use this to, for example, show you products you’ve recently viewed
- Location, IP address and browser type: we’ll use this for purposes like estimating taxes and to successfully process the PayFast payment
- Shipping address: we’ll ask you to enter this so we can successfully process your PayFast payment.
- Send you information about your account and order
- Respond to your requests, including refunds and complaints
- Process payments and prevent fraud
- Set up your account for our store
- Comply with any legal obligations we have, such as calculating taxes
- Improve our store offerings
- Send you marketing messages, if you choose to receive them
If you create an account, we will store your name, address, email and phone number, which will be used to populate the checkout for future orders. We generally store information about you for as long as we need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it, and we are not legally required to continue to keep it. For example, we will store order information for 5 years for tax and accounting purposes. This includes your name, email address and billing and shipping addresses. We will also store comments or reviews, if you choose to leave them.
Who on our team has access
Members of our team have access to the information you provide us. For example, Administrators, Shop Managers, Support technicians, Developers can access:
- Order information like what was purchased, when it was purchased and where it should be sent, and
- Customer information like your name, email address, and billing and shipping information.
Our team members have access to this information to help fulfill orders, process refunds, support you and process your requests.
What we share with others
We share information with third parties who help us provide our orders and store services to you. We only share or disclose this data to operators for the following purposes: Operators
What we collect and store For the purposes of processing recurring subscription payments, we store the customer’s name, billing address, shipping address, email address, phone number and credit card/payment details.
Which laws apply?
WP-Awesomeness Address: 21A. 11the Avenue, Parktown North, Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa, 2193. Email: email@example.com
We have appointed Andries Steyn as contact person for the organization’s policies and practices and to whom complaints or inquiries can be forwarded:
21A, 11th Avenue
Submitting a complaint
If you are not satisfied with the way in which we handle (a complaint about) the processing of your personal data, you have the right to submit a complaint to the Information Regulator South Africa:
P.O Box 31533,
Complaints email: complaints.IR@justice.gov.za
Our website is not designed to attract children and it is not our intent to collect personal data from children under the age of consent in their country of residence. We therefore request that children under the age of consent do not submit any personal data to us.
Should we be unable to address your concerns, or should you have a complaint about the collection, processing or storage of your personal information, you may contact the Information Regulator by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.